Friday, September 9, 2011

Syria, Iran, and the Jews

I am concerned with much broader issues. For instance, I am following the uprising in Syria and supporting it and hoping it succeeds. I am analyzing it in great detail and if the Syrians remove Assad from power and make peace with Israel and the Jews, then I will learn to speak Arabic and fly to Syria to write a book on the freedom uprising in Syria. In the event that either Assad remains in power or a liberated Syria remains at war with Israel and the Jews just like a free Iraq is, then I will concentrate on learning Persian so that when the Islamist regime in Iran falls, I can go to a free Iran.


I think there is much greater chance of a liberated Iran making peace with Israel and the Jews than of a free Syria doing so. Why? Because Iran had diplomatic relations with Israel and the Jews under the late Shah from 1949 to 1979, and I think that a post-Islamist regime in Iran would restore the special relationship between Iran and Israel. Also Iran is Shi’ite and Persian and is therefore in automatic competition with the Sunni Arabs. So Iran has a strategic interest in allying with Israel and the Jews against its Arab Sunni enemies, in particular Saudi Arabia.

Also the Iranian secular democrats in exile are ready and willing to work openly with Israel and the Jews in order to overthrow the Islamist regime in Iran and establish a secular democracy in their homeland. In addition, the Iranian Islamist regime is openly committed to the destruction of Israel and the Jews. Therefore, the Iranian secular democrats in exile are wise enough to realize that they should unite with Israel and the Jews against their common enemy: the evil totalitarian regime which is brutally persecuting Iranians and waging war on Israel and the Jews. I have worked with many Iranians secular democrats in exile who support Israel and the Jews - among them the mysterious Zarebin in London, Saba Farzan and Jahanshah Rashidian in Germany, and Akbar Atri in America.

In contrast, most Syrian democrats are almost totally unwilling to work with Israel and the Jews because they do not support peace with Israel and the Jews. I admire the work of my friend Farid Ghadry of the Reform Party of Syria and I greatly appreciate his support and solidarity with Israel and the Jews. But unfortunately I think that his views represent a small minority of Syrians about Israel and the Jews. I really hope I am wrong, but it seems to me with all the defecting soldiers and officers saying their job is to wage war on Israel and the Jews and defend themselves against the Jewish enemy, I am highly doubtful that a democratic Syria will make peace with the Jews. The Syrian democrats want freedom inside the borders of Syria - they want an end to the ethnic and religious divisions that plague Syria- they want equality for minorities such as Kurds and Christians and an end to subordination of the oppressed Sunni Arab majority. But they do not extend their compassion to Israel and the Jews, whom they perceive to be beyond the pale and beyond the ranks of the human race.

No comments: