Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Remembering Majid Tavakoli on his birthday

Last night I had a dream about Majid Tavakoli.  In my dream Majid Tavakoli, the wonderfully brave student leader and political prisoner in Iran, was released from prison after serving 3 years in prison.  Unfortunately, my dream did not come true. 

I read the Iranian political news today and saw the depressing announcement that Majid Tavakoli is forced to spend his 25th birthday in prison - while serving an outrageous 8.5 year prison sentence.  http://en.irangreenvoice.com/article/2011/may/18/3128?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+irangreenvoice%2FEn+%28Iran+Green+Voice+-+English%29

Why? Because he dares to believe in freedom and to speak up for freedom in a country where freedom of thought and conscience is treated as a crime.  My heart aches for Majid Tavakoli, and no, I can't wish him a happy birthday because that would be a cruel joke to wish a political prisoner who has been deliberately tortured, sent to solitary confinement, and deprived of essential medical care happy birthday.  No one in his position could possibly be happy on their 25th brithday. 

Instead I wish to let him and my friend who is a political prisoner in Iran and all the political prisoners in Iran, both secular democrats and liberal Islamists, know that I am thinking about you.  I hope that you find the courage to remove this regime soon so that Majid Tavakoli is not spending his 26th, 27th, and so forth birthdays in prison.  I know that Majid Tavakoli and others like him will not be free as long as this regime remains in power.  I hope that this evil Islamist regime falls and is replaced by a secular democracy at peace with Israel and the Jews. 

No comments: